Saturday, July 4, 2015

World heritage sites dissapearing

In my last blog post I talked about species going extinct, and in this one I will talk about the land. Even though East Rennell in the Solomon Islands is on the USESCO world heritage list, logging of nearby areas may cause it to not be around for future generations. More importantly, logging causes habitat loss for all life forms who rely on the trees to survive, including those dwelling in the coral.



 Will beautiful scenery be a thing of the past? 

But why does this happen? Because of the incredible demand for paper. Every day we go about our business, writing in notepads, printing receipts, but how much of this is sustainably sourced? And is it recycled afterwards? I always try to reduce my consumption, buy recycled paper, re-use what I have and recycle what I don't need. Doing this and standing up to big companies who make these decisions can help prevent logging and deforestation in East Rennell and many other places. Small decisions have big impacts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment