Friday, August 28, 2015

Veganize this: spinach and ricotta puffs

So today I went to the cruelty free shop (AKA vegan heaven in Melbourne) for no particular reason and came across vegan ricotta on sale. I had never tried it before  and since I had spinach at home that needed to be eaten up I thought it was a good excuse to buy it. This is an adaption of the recipe I found here



·       250g vegan ricotta cheese
·       250g frozen spinach, thawed
·       2 tablespoons of chia or flax seeds
·       6 tablespoons of water
·       2 teaspoons dried basil
·       1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
·       2 tablespoons olive oil
·       200g puff pastry sheets

1.       Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
2.       Mix the seeds with the water and leave for a few minutes
3.       Mix the ricotta cheese, drained spinach, seeds, basil, salt and pepper.
4.       Lay a filo sheet on a work surface then place a spoonful of the spinach and cheese mixture on it and fold into a triangle. Continue with the remaining ingredients.
5.       Put the triangle in a baking dish and brush with olive oil.
6.       Bake for 20 minutes.

That was pretty much it! A very quick and easy meal for dinner today after a busy day. As for the taste, they aren’t exactly the same as non-vegan ones but I’m pretty happy with them. Before I was vegan I was a vegetarian for about 6 years and these were often something I would eat so it was nice to have them again! If you are like how I used to be and thought ‘free range eggs are fine to eat because they don’t harm the chicken’ then you are misled. Not only do they kill thousands of make chicks each year but many farms who claim to be free range are actually not. It’s sad but the best way to reduce the cruelty is to stop eating eggs altogether, and with so many different kinds of good egg replacement, why wouldn’t you?


No comments:

Post a Comment